In fiction, it involves a character who by means of magic or some technology, ages, typically by several years, within seconds or minutes. Often, the character will transform from a child to an adult.
In photo manipulation, age progression involves techniques to create an "aged" image of a person based on a current portrait photograph of that person, that can give an idea of how the person may look like when he or she is older.
Age progression in mediaEdit
- A classic work where age progression is thwarted rather than accelerated, is Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. At the end of the story, the protagonist undergoes AP after killing his likeness in a painting, which had previously preserved Gray's youthful appearance.
- In the book Happy Birthday, Dear Amy by Marilyn Kaye, a 13 year old girl grows into a 25 year old overnight.
Age transformations are a common theme in Japanese anime and manga. Many anime series feature girls transforming into often voluptuous women. They go through elaborate transformation sequences, in which their clothes are magically replaced with costumes, and their bodies are hidden by energy streamers. The transformation scene may be reused in each episode, emphasizing the characters' breasts and hips growing in a comical way. They may be shown blushing afterward. The earliest known case is the anime/manga series Magical Melmo (Merumo) by Osamu Tezuka. In each episode, the young girl Melmo has to help people by impersonating adult professions, like a stewardess or a policewoman. The plot was imitated in later series such as Minky Momo and Fancy Lala. Age progression is a popular theme in hentai manga. There are also many stories in which a character gets younger (age regression).
- Movies in which boys physically become men:
- Vice Versa
- 13 Going on 30
- Da Grande
- Wait 'til you're Older
- Movies in which girls physically become women:
- Body swap movies in which young girls' souls end up in the bodies of older women (no physical transformation):
- Freaky Friday (3 versions)
- 13 Going on 30
- Wish Upon a Star