Fessée (pronounced /fɛ.se/) is the French word for a spanking (noun). Like the verb fesser ("to spank", pronounced /fɛ.se/), it is derived from the French word for buttocks, fesse (in singular, pronounced /fɛs/) or fesses (in plural, pronounced the same). Other words are similarly derived; for example a male spanker is called fesseur (pronounced /fɛ.sœʁ/) and a female spanker is called fesseuse (pronounced /fɛ.søz/).
The word fesse, in turn, is derived from the Latin word fissum, which means "split", referring to the partedness of the buttocks.
Whereas the English words "spank" or "spanking" do not directly refer to the body part upon which blows are to be given, the French words leave absolutely no doubt whatsoever as to what is to come. Anytime a parent or teacher has need to advice some culprit that he or she is to be spanked, reference is directly and openly made to the child's buttocks, intensifying the inevitable feelings of shame, rage and dread.
- La fessée is a song by Georges Brassens (lyrics, in French)
- La Fessée (1976) is a French softcore pornographic film with many spanking scenes. Watch a video clip or the complete film at xHamster.
- La fessée is also the title of a painting by Paul Marie
- La Fessée is also a French spanking paysite
- Fesse Rouge is a French free spanking site
- Le marchand de fessées is a French children's story by Pierre Gripari