With clever usage of belittling language, words can have an emotional sting while remaining unoffensive enough that the person thus addressed can not protest much.
- Using terms and a style of language that is commonly used for babys or little children, such as babytalk or the usage of "boy" and "girl".
- Using terms and a style of language that is overly polite such that it sounds subtly ironically, such as calling a boy "Master" (in 19th century English) or "young man" or a girl "Miss" or "young lady".
- Using honorifics, such as the V-form in certain Indo-European languages that have a T–V distinction, for the same effect.
- Using diminutives when referring to a spankee's body parts (such as "botty" or "tushy"), or to a spanking implement (such as "Stöckchen" in German).
- Making verbally light of the punishment (such as "bottom warming").
- Using a light-hearted tone of voice during the infliction of punishment.
Besides language, also the kind of punishment by itself can belittle a person — such as when an adult is scolded like a child, ear-pulled, spanked, mouth washed or put in corner time, which are punishments typically used on children. Forbidding the spankee to speak, to do things themselves even when they are compliant, and ignoring the spankee's sense of modesty also add to the belittling.
Child spankee's languageEdit
In child spanking fiction (stories, novels, or comics), the spankees will often use an exaggerated "childlike" language. The same kind of language is also often used by adult child ageplayers and in online roleplay. Typical elements of this language are:
- Adressing the spanker as "Daddy", "Mommy", "Sir" or "Ma'am".
- Using childlike words for body parts and body functions.
- Using a reduced vocabulary and avoiding complex sentence structures.
- Making minor grammatical mistakes.
- Unguarded showing of emotions when happy or sorry.
- Stuttering when afraid.
- Stereotypic child spankee phrases such as "No more please!", "I'll be good!", or "I won't do it again!"
For adult babies this can be further reduced to 'babytalk' and not speaking any recognizable words.