A brush is a device that has stiff hairs or bristles firmly set into a handle.
There are many different types of brush used for various purposes:
- a paintbrush is used in painting and drawing to apply paint or ink.
- a hairbrush is used to comb and disentangle hair; or as a spanking implement.
- a bath brush is used to scrub the body in a bath; or as a spanking implement.
- a toothbrush is used to clean one's teeth.
- a nailbrush is used to clean one's fingernails.
- a toilet brush is used to clean the toilet.
- a pastry brush is used in baking to apply liquids such as egg or milk.
In computer graphics, a brush is a tool that works like a digital version of a paintbrush. The image editor software typically allows you to select one of many different sized (and shaped) brushes to paint with.
As a verb, to brush means to rub with a brush (or as if with a brush), e.g. for cleaning.