Corner time is a short term isolation punishment that is a form of time-out where the child (or adult, e.g. in roleplay) is made to stand in a corner of the room for a period of time. The corner is sometimes referred to as the time-out corner. The punishment combines the practical side of time-outs (calming down etc.) with a pose and position of shame and thus can be regarded a form of psychological punishment.
Corner time is a time-out variant that restricts physical movement tightly and enforces complete inactivity for its duration (whereas grounding or being sent to one's room, for example, permit relatively free movement and manifold activities to enjoy oneself and pass the time). It is therefore a popular technique for teaching discipline.
Nose to the wall is a very similar method that is employed where a room offers no suitable corners.
Applying the techniqueEdit
There are many variants to corner time. The child can face the room isolating them from participation, however usually the punishment is to face the corner, so he or she is further isolated from even observation the rest of the room.
The parent will usually tell the child to go to the corner and stand there still and quiet until he or she is told to go out again. Fidgeting (failure to stand still) during corner time is a frequent cause of extension or escalation of punishment.
Pediatrists and developmental psychologists recommend to give for a short time-out approximately one minute per year of age (e.g. 5 minutes for a 5-year-old, 10 minutes for a 10-year-old. That time may be doubled if necessary if the child pushes their limits during the time-out. To keep easy track of the time, a kitchen timer can be set.
Corner time is considered the most humiliating form of time-out. Additional instructions (popular in roleplay) can be where to place the hands (e.g. hands on head) and how exactly to stand (e.g. legs shoulder-width apart, one foot from the walls).
Corner time variantsEdit
- sitting on a chair or stool (or worse, a punishment stool)
- kneeling on the floor
- kneeling on a painful object such as a log of wood or peas
- kneeling on a padded chair or stool
Where to put the hands:
Touching the wall:
- must not touch the wall
- must touch the wall(s) with the elbows
- must touch the wall(s) with the forehead
- must touch the wall with the nose (e.g. holding a piece of paper)
State of (un)dress:
- fully dressed
- pants/briefs/panties lowered to below the bottom, to knee level, or to the ankles
- pants/briefs/panties taken off
- skirt pinned up
- skirt held up
- only in underwear
- fully naked
Corner time and spankingEdit
- Main article: Corner time before and after
Before the spanking, it serves to
- allow both the child and the parent to calm down,
- let the child think about what he or she did and why they deserve the spanking,
- give the parent time to prepare the spanking (e.g. fetch the implement of choice).
After the spanking, it
- gives the child time for themselves to calm down again and stop crying,
- time to think again on what he or she had done,
- extends the punishment and humiliation if the child is made to stand in the corner with their red-spanked bottom on display, and is not allowed for the duration of the time-out to rub their bottom.
Gallery 1 (art)Edit
"In Disgrace", mezzotint after Charles Burton Barber (1887).
"A protest." Vintage cartoon from Punch.
"Subtle discrimination." Vintage cartoon from Punch.
"The Corner Of The Classroom", painting by Edith Scannell (1852–1940).
"Corner time", drawing by Lawrence Kinden.
A a pre and post spanking corner time. Drawing by Spankart (2002).
Artwork by Mame (2018).
Rendered art by Little Dragon Kid (2020).
Schoolboy and schoolgirl share their cornertime by Lucy Cline
Gallery 2 (photos)Edit
Adult woman in corner time after a spanking. Photo by Stan Gere (2000).
Corner time in adult roleplayEdit
- Post-spanking corner time panel of Lil' Jinx on Shoujo Imageboard
- A corner time drawing (/f) by Lee Warner, on the Handprints site (WARNING: This image could be considered photo-realistic and be illegal to view or download in your country)
- Rendered art (/F) by EC
- Corner time gallery 1 - photos of women in corner time on the Encyclopedia of Spanking Art
- Corner time gallery 2 - photos of women in corner time on the Encyclopedia of Spanking Art
- Rhonda in corner time (photo)
- A little girl in corner time (photo)
- Another little girl in corner time (photo)
- Humorous corner time cartoon by Dave Wolfe
- Nude woman in two different corner positions
- Boy standing in corner (stock photo)
- Girl standing in corner (stock photo)
- Young child sitting in corner as punishment (stock photo)
- Nude Boy Standing in Corner (stock photo)
- Girl in blue dress standing in corner time (stock photo)
- A spanked woman in pajamas in corner time (photo)
- A naked woman in corner time
- A woman in corner time, bare butt, hands on her head
- A woman in safari wear standing with her hands on her head
- Girl standing in corner