The word cut has different meanings:
- A cut can refer to the style or shape of a garment.
- In corporal punishment, especially when the implement is hard and thin like a cane or switch, the individual strikes are sometimes called cuts. This usage may be British English. For a good example, see the poem Charlie Collingwood's Flogging by Algernon Charles Swinburne.
- In film, cut refers to the joining of camera takes into a longer film.
- To be cut is a slang term for male circumcision.
- Cut and paste is a common technique in computing.